More music is falling outside the PRS/MCPS and PPL blanket agreements, so with the evolution of new digital media production teams need to know more about how to fulfil commissioners’ delivery requirements. This in-depth seminar offers a step-by-step explanation of licensing procedures, tips on keeping within budget, and advice on how to identify music that falls outside the blanket agreements, and so avoid the costly pitfalls of copyright clearance.
• Establishing the music requirements of a production
• Researching details of music copyright owners
• Identifying non-blanket repertoire
• Making choices/replacing tracks
• Reviewing & analysing composer agreements
• Clearing non-blanket music rights eg DVD/DTO, website usage, TV & film festivals
• Preparing clearance requests where relevant
• Negotiating preferred terms and conditions
• Analysing and negotiating the wording of agreements
• Settling invoices and delivering final documentation
A detailed review of music agreements will emphasise the importance of understanding and completing all necessary music documentation, including accurate cue sheets. There will also be an opportunity to discuss specific music issues with the speakers during the course of the afternoon.
Who’s it for?
This is an advanced workshop for people who have attended ITF’s Music Rights (1) and/or have practical experience of music copyright in TV & film. It is not suitable for those who have very little working knowledge of this area.
Ivan Chandler, Founder & CEO of Musicalities Ltd, is one of the UK’s most respected music copyright consultants with over 30 years experience in the entertainment industry including 8 years as European Manager of Motown’s music publishing division and 1992-1996 as the music consultant for PACT. Ivan’s TV credits include “Skins” (Company Pictures for E4), “Case Histories” (Ruby Films for BBC), the fourth series of RAW (Ecosse Films for RTE) as well as new productions for Aardman Animations, Nutopia and Jamie Oliver’s Fresh One Productions.
Guest speaker: TBC
ITF company member or freelancer £50
July 2nd, London 2:00pm – 5:30pm