When: 10:00 – 17:00, 5th July, 2012
Venue: Ron Cooke Hub, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DE
Fees: Free Event
The workshop will bring together Creative & Digital Technology SMEs, Large Media and Corporates from Creative Industries with investors and funders and will be curated by Dr Uday Phadke (CIKTN’s Investment Theme Champion).
Our overall aim for the event is to explore new ways of facilitating collaboration across Creative Industries sectors, technologies and with investors. Specifically in the context of generating new projects and partnerships as the basis for delivering innovation and securing funding using the RiffStream# methodology. The day’s activities will be focussed around 2 session themes:
- Morning Session: Building businesses based upon open source models or archive materials. This theme is likely to be primarily of interest to organisations/businesses in the education, culture and heritagesectors.
- Afternoon Session: Building cross platform and trans media businesses. This theme is likely to be primarily of interest to the entertainment and gaming industries.
What will the day include?
- Presentations from leading players and thought-leaders: Senior players from some of the larger corporates and organisations plus experts in the field will talk about the main opportunities and challenges
- Presentations from SME’s and Creative/Digital Entrepreneurs: The event will provide an opportunity for smaller companies and entrepreneurs to present their ideas, projects and businesses and to discuss them in an interactive environment
- Structured Interaction and Networking: Opportunities for entrepreneurs, small and large companies and investors to network with each other in a highly interactive environment.
Who is the event aimed at?
- Creative and Digital SMEs
- Large Media and Creative Industry Companies
- Investors and Funders (angels, venture capitalists, private equity, banks and corporates)
- Those interested in the Technology Strategy Board’s planned Connected Digital Economy Catapult.
Background to the event and the RiffStream# Methodology
CIKTN recognizes that connecting market spaces to technologies, based on sustainable business models, lies at the heart of the challenge facing SME’s, corporates and investors: the key to success lies in successfully crossing this investment and development Chasm.
Players in the RiffStream#can benefit by:
- Better understanding of their role in their business eco-system.
- Matching their ideas to potential markets with a clear definition of the product or service they can take to market.
- Clarity on potential business models and their revenue, cost and investment envelopes.
- Relationships with potential suppliers and partners.
- Early dialogues with potential funders, investors and customers.
Why should you attend?
As well as offering structured networking opportunities and sharing insightful knowledge from leading industry figures, our Concept to Customer event will also provide a platform for SMEs and creative/digital entrepreneurs to showcase their project ideas or products relevant to the event’s themes below, to an audience of potential partners, investors and/or customers for up to 5 minutes.
- Building Businesses based on Open-Source Models or Archive Materials: Primarily of Interest to players inEducation, Culture and Heritage sectors
- Building Cross-platform and trans-media businesses: Primarily of interest to the Entertainment and Gaming Industries