Love & Engineering from Finnish producer Kaarle Aho of Making Movies Oy and Bulgarian director Tonislav Hristov has won the prestigious ARTE-sponsored Pixel Pitch Prize at Power to the Pixel’s 5th Cross-Media Forum, held in association with the BFI London Film Festival.
The crowd-pleasing project – claiming the £6,000 top prize – was chosen by an august jury of commissioning executives, financiers and media experts from nine international projects presented at The Pixel Pitch, the first day of The Pixel Market, Power to the Pixel’s marketplace dedicated to financing cross-media projects.
Love & Engineering is about digital geeks looking for analogue love. One claims to have hacked love – can he help lonely engineers find real happiness? The project spans a feature-length documentary, live events, mobile apps and an interactive website.
More than 100 projects were submitted for the competition from 26 countries.
Michel Reilhac, Executive Director of ARTE France Cinéma, said “This year’s projects at The Pixel Pitch were very strong, showing that we have now entered a phase where transmedia is becoming reality. Not something we talk or fantasise about, but something we do. And Love & Engineering among all of the projects has that rare quality for a story to bowl you over, using our real lives as material for transcended drama and emotions. I just love it!”
Liz Rosenthal, Founder of Power to the Pixel, said: “The exceptionally high quality of projects and participants of this second edition of The Pixel Market attracted strong interest from attending commissioners and financiers and we expect to see some exciting announcements in the coming weeks.
The Pixel Market proves that leading producers, creators and now financiers from across media industries are ready to answer strong demand by audiences for stories that can be experienced on multiple platforms.”
The Cross-Media Forum in London brings together forward-thinking media companies, storytellers and digital innovators from around the world.
THE PIXEL LAB 2011 PRIZE WINNERS
In tandem with its Cross-Media Forum, Power to the Pixel held the second workshop for its European business development course, The Pixel Lab in London. 14 producers who attended the course with a cross-media project received half a day’s pitch training before making their own five-minute pitch presentations to an international jury headed by RTL Group’s Ian McClelland, and invited industry guests.
A split jury voted to reduce the top £3,000 prize to a £2,000 award which was presented to Turning Point from Germany’s Tobias Büchner of zero one films. A Special Commendation Award of £1,000 was created for The Elders Project from B3 Media’s Marc Boothe from the UK. The award will be donated to the Black Elderly Group Southwark (BEGS) in London.
For more, go to www.powertothepixel.com.
ABOUT THE PIXEL MARKET
The Pixel Market is a totally unique, two-day marketplace dedicated to financing international cross-media projects. 25 projects were selected from nearly 100 applications from 26 countries.
Of those teams, nine were selected to present In Competition at The Pixel Pitch on 12 October at NFT1, BFI Southbank to compete for the £6,000 ARTE cash prize.
The Pixel Market is supported by the Media Programme of the European Union, BFI, Skillset Film Skills Fund, ARTE, Canada Media Fund, BBC, Telefilm Canada, Orange, TorinoFilmLab, BAFTA.
PIXEL PITCH FINALISTS
1. Cloud Chamber - Internet, mobile, TV, game
Producer: Vibeke Windeløv Director: Christian Fonnesbech Production Company: Windelov/Lassen Interactive (DEN)
2. Jezabel (FR) – TV, web, mobile, live events, radio, print, social networks
Producer: Eric Pellegrin Transmedia Producer: Rémy Reboullet Production Company: Bridges (FR)
3. Lost and Sound [working title] - TV, web, app
Producer: Kat Mansoor Writer/Director: Lindsey Dryden Production Company: Animal Monday (UK)
4. Love & Engineering [working title] - TV, interactive website, mobile app, live events
Producer: Kaarle Aho Director: Tonislav Hristov Production Company: Making Movies Oy (FIN)
5. My Little Songs - TV, web, mobile app, books, games
Producer: Deborah Elalouf Cross-Media Publisher: Sophie de Quatrebarbes Production Company: Tralalere (FR)
6. Process: Cause & Affect - Online, film (broadcast), gallery installations, mobile
Executive Producer: James Milward Production Company: Secret Location (CAN)
7. The First Zombie - Film, TV series, blog, book
Producer: Jeff Norton Production Company: Awesome Media & Entertainment (UK/CAN)
8. Tomorrow We Disappear - Film, online, mobile + tablets, interactive website, interactive installation
Producer/Interactive Director: Jimmy Goldblum Director/Editor: Adam Weber Production Company: Rebel Yell (USA)
9. We R Democracy - web, mobile app, social networks, online game, feature film
Producers : Matthieu Lietaert, Jamie Balliu Production Companies: Not So Crazy! (BEL), Up Creatives (UK), Inflammable Productions (FR)
ABOUT THE PIXEL LAB
The Pixel Lab is Power to the Pixel’s European training hub set up to equip producers, storytellers and media professionals with the skills to create, produce and finance cross-media properties – stories that can span a combination of film, TV, online, mobile, interactive and gaming.
Encompassing a six-day residential workshop at the end of June, producers attending with a project receive distance consultancy until the end of September, followed by pitch training and project presentations during Power to the Pixel’s Cross-Media Forum in October 2011.
The Pixel Lab is supported by the MEDIA Programme of the European Union, Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg, FFA, TorinoFilmLab, Skillset Film Skills Fund, ARTE, MEDIA Antenne Berlin-Brandenburg.
PROJECTS IN COMPETITION
1. ARTPOETRY – TV, web, mobile app
Producer: Olmo Figueredo González-Quevedo Production Company: La Claqueta (SPA)
2. The Elders Project – physical photographic exhibition and installation linked to web, mobile, broadcast media
Producer: Marc Boothe Production Company: B3 Media (UK)
3. Everyday Rebellion – web, TV, cinema, apps, educational games
Producer: Arash T. Riahi Production Company: Golden Girls Filmproduktion (AUT)
4. The Great War Diary – online, print, TV
Producer: Laurent Duret Production Company: Les Films d’Ici (FR)
5. GROUPA – web series, interactive video, social networks
Producer: Federico Dini Production Company: doodem (GER)
6. In Camera – film, game, online, TV, mobile
Producer: Laurent Thiry Production Company: Magnificat Films (FR)
7. Maybe They Knew Everything – TV series, tablet-based app
Producer: Sander Verdonk Production Company: Lev Pictures (NETH)
8. Resonance – web series, film, digital motion comics, online
Producer: Tom Dunbar Production Company: Hut V Productions (UK)
9. Tomorrow Never Knows – broadcast, web, mobile app
Producer: Emmanuel Dumont Production Company: Cellules (FR)
10. The Tower of Fables – Internet portal (online games, interactive library), e-books, feature animation, videogame
Producer: Jean Pierre Magro Production Company: Drunken Angel Films (MAL)
11. Turning Point – TV, online, mobile, print, social networks
Producer: Tobias Büchner Production Company: zero one film (GER)
12. Who is Maja? – radio, web TV, live events
Producer: Bernhard von Hülsen Production Company: Ave (GER)
13. World Wide Waste – TV, film, web, app, online campaign
Producer: Tina Naber Production Company: Kloos & Co Medien (GER)
14. The Yuck! Factor – mobile apps, online, gaming, TV series
Producer: Nikolay Moustakov Production Company: Earthly Delights Films (UK)
ABOUT POWER TO THE PIXEL
Power to the Pixel supports the film and media industries in their transition to a digital age. The company’s London team has a wealth of experience and expertise across film and cross-media, and is linked to a unique network of the leading thinkers, practitioners and innovators who are developing new business and creative opportunities around the world.
Specialising in new ways for content creators and businesses to create and finance stories and engage with audiences across multiple platforms, Power to the Pixel’s core activities are:
- Providing consultancy to international media organisations, content creators and companies
- Designing innovative in-house company training programmes and bespoke initiatives
- Producing international forums, events and labs centred around cross-media IP and business
- Facilitating the exchange of ideas and the building of international partnerships between media professionals and between industries
This understanding of the challenges and opportunities of digital change means Power to the Pixel is an essential bridge between the visionary, the pioneering and the practical.
The company’s clients and partners include: ARTE; BAFTA; BBH; Berlin Film Festival; BFI; Cannes Film Festival (Marché du Film); EAVE; Edinburgh Film Festival; Nordisk Film & TV Fond; Orange; Rotterdam Film Festival; UK Film Council.
Tishna Molla, COO & Producer, Power to the Pixel
+44 (0)20 7453 4579